Look out for tacos and enchiladas, there’s a new condiment in town! This avocado crema is SO delicious and endlessly versatile! We’ve been enjoying it for years and decided it needed its own dedicated space on the blog. With a few tweaks to maximize flavour and ensure success every time, it’s here!
This crema is bright, fresh, perfectly rich and creamy, and plant-based, too! Bonus points? It only requires 25 minutes, 6 ingredients, and 1 blender. Let’s do this thing!
What is Avocado Crema?
Avocado crema is a creamy, slightly tangy dip or sauce starring avocado. It’s similar to guacamole but is extra smooth, creamy, and lightened up. We love it for topping tacos, bowls, and more!
While it’s most commonly made with sour cream, the following is our inspired take relying on plant-based, whole-food ingredients.
How to Make Avocado Crema
This 6-ingredient vegan avocado crema relies on creamy cashews and tangy lime juice as a substitute for sour cream.
First, we soak the cashews in hot water to soften them and create a more neutral flavour (a trick we learned when experimenting with cashew cream). Then the soaked cashews go into a blender with ripe avocado, fresh cilantro, lime juice, garlic, sea salt, and water.
All that’s left is blending it up until you’ve got super creamy avocado crema. Swoon!
Using a powerful blender like a Nutribullet, Vitamix, or Blendtec will ensure the cashews blend into a smooth consistency. You can find our blender review here to learn how different blenders perform.
We hope you LOVE this avocado crema! It’s:
& SO Delicious!
It’s best when fresh but will keep for up to a couple of days before the avocado turns slightly brown. Try it on our Enchilada-Stuffed Butternut Squash, Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas, Black Bean Plantain Enchilada Bake, Chipotle Tofu Chilaquiles, Sweet Potato Black Bean Tamales, Smoky BBQ Bean Tacos, and more!
Creamy, bright avocado crema made with 6 whole food ingredients! Plant-based, SO versatile, and just 25 minutes and 1 blender required!
Servings 6 (~1/4-Cup Servings)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 small-medium ripe avocado (1 small-medium avocado yields ~3/4 cup or 113 g measured after pitting/peeling)
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro
- 2-3 Tbsp lime juice (1 lime yields ~3 Tbsp or 45 ml)
- 1 small clove of garlic, peeled
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (plus more to taste)
- 1/3 – 2/3 cup water (plus more if needed)
- Add the cashews to a heatproof bowl and cover with hot water by a few inches. Set aside to soak for 20 minutes.
- Drain the water and add the soaked cashews to a small blender* with the avocado, cilantro, lime juice (starting with the lesser amount), garlic, salt, and water (starting with the lesser amount). Blend until creamy and smooth, adding more water 1-2 tablespoons (15-30 ml) at a time as needed to encourage blending.
- Taste and adjust as needed, adding more salt to taste lime juice for tanginess or garlic for zing.
- Serve on enchiladas, chilaquiles, tamales, tacos, and more!
- Best when fresh. Leftover sauce will keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 1-2 days, but the colour will become darker. Not freezer friendly.
*We tested this recipe in both a Nutribullet and Vitamix 5200 (this model has a narrow base) and both worked well.
*Adapted from our Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas.
*Prep time includes soaking cashews.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.
Nutrition (1 of 6 servings)
Serving: 1 quarter-cup serving Calories: 100 Carbohydrates: 5.8 g Protein: 2.5 g Fat: 8.3 g Saturated Fat: 1.3 g Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.3 g Monounsaturated Fat: 4.8 g Trans Fat: 0 g Cholesterol: 0 mg Sodium: 101 mg Potassium: 199 mg Fiber: 2 g Sugar: 0.8 g Vitamin A: 92 IU Vitamin C: 4 mg Calcium: 9 mg Iron: 0.8 mg